We show you how to flaunt your personality through your bookcase, and demonstrate how it can be much more than a place to simply store books.
- Create a sense of balance in an open or broken plan space, by showcasing statement pieces of crockery. We love an antique truffle or cake stand to add some extra height.
- Showcase a love of plants to give your space a fresh, outdoors feel as well as help alleviate smells and clean the air.
- Display something you collect in a space where it will get seen, rather than hiding it away in a box or underneath the bed.
- Create a chic, eccentric look by stacking large, vintage books on top of each other horizontally rather than vertically. It will add a sense of depth, as well as give an excuse to rummage through your own favourite antique boutique.
- Hang cameras, binoculars or even a small framed picture from the top.
- Mix modern and old styles for the contemporary look that's on everyone's radar at the moment. We particularly love industrial key pieces, accentuated by weathered or back-to-nature woods.
- Don't try to be uniform with size. Opt for different shapes, sizes and heights to create interest.
- Add an oversized or tall item to the top shelf to maximise the upper third and create an illusion of space.
- Mix up colours and textures. Mismatched is the new monochrome.
- Don't feel the need to refine one type of item to a shelf. Follow a row of books with a large leafy plant, or a framed picture that has been propped against the wall.
- Add smaller items in front of main pieces to add an extra element of depth and make the most of the space.
- Add a rich, textured rug underneath for a cosy touch.
- Add a tall table lamp to the top shelf to create instant impact and brighten your room. A style with an adjustable neck or stem will give you the added benefit of practicality.
- If a light won't work for your space, add an oversized statement sculpture instead.
- Forget the rulebook, a statement bookcase should be something that is experimented and played with. Keep trying out new positions and arrangements that you wouldn't normally do, to find the perfect balance.
- Celebrate your literary taste and showcase your favourite books without any judgement. It will create a great talking point for guests and you never know... they may share the same guilty pleasure story too.
Or, why not find out what one satisfied customer really thinks of our Quinn Ladder Desk in this video: